Blog Archive

Apr 2, 2011

Lyme's Disease and You

Ok, the title just seemed catchy.  In reality, I learned some things this week about Lyme's disease .  There are two tests that are done to a sample of blood being tested for the  Borrelia burgdorferi sensu stricto (Lyme's disease).  The first part of the test is a quick is-it-possible that someone may have Lyme's disease test.  If this test tests positive-- which it often does-- then the blood is sent away for a secondary confirmatory test.  The way the medical world inside the military works: blood is drawn; sample is sent to San Antonio for the initial yea/nay test; if yea, the sample is passed onto one of the only labs in the US that does the secondary test in CA; secondary sample results are never sent back to the military.


So my visit last week with the Infectious Disease Doctor resulted in a hunt for the results that took about a week.  Once she received the results it was revealed that I do not have, nor have I ever had, Lyme's disease.  While this seems like a  huge blessing, it leaves my symptoms in the dark.  The Infectious Disease Doctor is sending me to a neurologist now and I requested a sleep study for myself.  The doctor thought a sleep study was an excellent idea so I will soon be headed to that too.  


In all of this, I was sent to rheumatologist for my joint pains.  He determined that I haven't any indication of osteoarthritis but I probably have fibromyalgia, so prescribed a medication for that--as needed.  Oh and the original dr is sending me to physical therapy.... for what?  Joint pain.  Um is this starting to seem like a wild goose chase to you?  Because it is to me.   Think I will just hear what they have to say and move on.


John is still awaiting his second sleep study, that is a long story.  


I closed my Etsy shop temporarily-- to regroup.  You can read about that here.  


I got my hair cut-- not too short but a different style for certain.


Ok I am having to cut this one short-- busy Saturday ahead.


Love to you all!

No comments: