Blog Archive

Mar 17, 2011

New addition

65th Anniversary Jeep LibertyImage by cdresz via Flickr (not ours, ours is olive green)
Ashleigh turns 18 in about three months.  And she wishes to move back to WA.  WA holds a great deal of positive memories for her. And.  Her boyfriend is there.

Because of all this, I, and Chappy, are giving her the minivan.  I know it isn't an ideal model for a young woman-- to own a minivan-- but it is the most practical.   It is completely paid off, the transmission was remade a few years ago, it gets great gas mileage, and because it IS a minivan, her insurance will be much lower.

This necessitates a new (used) vehicle for us, to replace the loss of the minivan.

So, Chappy, whose decision I would bow to because it would be either his new Harley or his new (used) jeep, began car hunting.  We did know we were going to get a second vehicle that had towing capabilities, just in case the 11 year old Durango gave up the ghost.  So we (he) decided that we would get a used (2005) Jeep Liberty because it had less than 30K miles on it and it is a 6 year old vehicle; 6 cylinders, 4 wheel drive, AND it has massive amounts of leg room for John in back.  More leg room than anything else I saw on the lot.  It drives nicely and has electric windows and locks.  And it has working air conditioning!  Woo-hoo!  (No cruise control, which I found odd.  Even our most basic, stripped down 1999 minivan has cruise control.)

He told me that it was my car.  He was content to ride his bike to work.  Hmmm.  Which vehicle do you think he has taken to work for the last couple of days?  You guess it.  I told him I didn't mind.  It was his vehicle.  I had pushed for the durango way back when, he pushed for this.  I will call the durango mine (finally, cuz you know, the minivan was not manly enough to be HIS vehicle anyway, LOL).

No comments: